August 24, 2012

My Handy Husband

I am very lucky to have met and married a "handy man." Bradley is very "handy" and has many talents one of which is woodworking. Not only is he good at it but he enjoys it and I am good at coming up with things for him to build. For instance when I could not find a good quality bookcase for Emory's room. I described what I wanted and Bradley built it.
Then when Cason came along I asked him to make some shelves for above his dresser and a bookcase for his room.
When I could not find the perfect corner hutches for the dining room I asked Bradley to build some.
We had an antique claw foot round table in our breakfast room that Mom and Dad picked up a few years ago. I liked the table but it was too small for the four of us so Mom took it to her shop to sell. I wanted an old farm table or harvest table, but could not find anything that was large enough or the right size for our breakfast area. Then I got the idea to buy a new table made out of old wood. After a little research I found the below table and loved it.  
What I did not love was the nearly $2000 price tag. So I turned to Bradley and asked him if he could build us one. We found a place in Louisiana that sales different kinds of old wood. We chose cypress that came from an old barn in southern Louisiana. Once the wood was delivered Bradley went to work building the table from the above picture.
I love it!
It amazes me how he can look at a picture of something and then go and build it.
Now all we have to do is get the chairs and bench ordered. I am doing black chairs like the inspiration picture above but with a black bench. I also think a new rug is in order because that one looks too small with this table. Guess I will have to add that to my wish list! Thank you Bradley for working hard all summer building this table. I love it and you!

No comments: